Planner is one of the 20+ Office 365 apps. In simple words, it is Microsoft’s answer to project management: a simple, visual way to organize teamwork.
What can you do with Planner? Plan Together!
You can create a plan, invite your team and colleagues, assign tasks, update progresses and start conversations. Moreover, you can attach files, set labels, create your own style and layout. Plan and work everywhere, every time, in every device: tablet, laptop, phone. Get 100% of planning and collaboration with Planner!
Planner and Advantages
- It is easy to understand and intuitive.
- For every update made in Plans, an email is automatically sent to all Plan members, so to keep everyone informed.
- It is simple to create plans and add members. Just type their name and Planner will bring them up, so that you can easily select them.
- You can add a description, a checklist, a label or a comment for each task item.
- There is also the possibility to set due dates and deadlines on tasks with the calendar feature.
- Planner Hub is a screen in Planner, where you can see detailed reports about your tasks, progress, time consuming.
- You are able to check your team members assigned tasks in all boards, so that you can avoid to overload someone.
- It is possible to communicate with all members of a Plan using Outlook emails, since it is integrated in Office 365.
- Planner is linked with Office 365, so you don’t need to log in separately every time.
Planner and Disadvantages
Despite the huge advantages, we can identify also some disadvantages in Planner (even though they seem to be secondary):
- Firstly, Planner does not allow to add non-team members to participate in plans or tasks. In other words, if a user is not registered with your company in Office 365, he/she cannot take part in Planner.
- @tagging is not possible, while sometimes this functionality would be useful and handy.
- There are some limits. For example, only one checklist per task is possible; 20 checkboxes maximum and comments on tasks have character limits (so no long comments can be attached).
- Unfortunately, there is no easy way to send some kind of content between tasks, buckets or plans (but for this function, you can use other apps in Office 365 that are more suitable for co-authoring or sharing tasks).
Managers, would you reject a tool that actually makes project management, planning, teamwork and life easier?